HP printers or any other printing devices need to communicate with your desktop to take the print command. However, during the HP printer offline mode, the printer keeps switching between online and offline, denies taking the print commands, and fails to deliver the printouts. Several reasons can drive you to say the printer is offline. The leading causes are the poor connection between printer and computer, bad WiFi network, jammed paper in the printer, etc. Whether you have an HP DeskJet, OfficeJet, or Envy series, the offline status error can occur at any time, with any printer model or with Windows 7, 8, XP, or 10.
Printers are like other electronic devices that need to work in sync with other peripherals like computers and Wi-Fi routers to deliver the expected results. If it doesn’t, the printer says offline on the digital panel or the desktop screen. To get at par, you will need to figure out the exact causes of offline error and apply the correct technique. In this article, we have listed down several reasons why your HP printer keeps going offline, along with a set of five strategies to help you switch your HP printer online from offline.
Why is My HP Printer Offline
We will take a closer look into why the HP printer is offline and what has to be done to get it back online. We have gathered the following reasons from our experience while working on fixing HP Envy printer offline error.
Check out the below to know the reasons that cause the HP printer offline error
- The printer is set to print in offline mode.
- Connectivity issue between router, printer, and computer.
- Loose cable connections may cause an offline error.
- Out-of-date HP printer driver forces an online HP printer to go offline.
- You may not have set your HP printer as a default printing device.
- Firmware is lacking some crucial updates.
- Sometimes, the HP printer says offline error due to corrupted files in the print queue.
- Moreover, the printer hardware can also become a reason for pushing your printer to go offline from online.
5 Methods to Fix HP Printer Offline Error
When your HP printer is offline, you should simply restart your computer, printer, and Wi-Fi router. Check that all the connections are intact and in place. The printer, computer, and Wi-Fi router should be within a 6 feet range. If the user still asks why my HP printer is offline, what should we do? Then we would want you to try and implement the following steps on your HP printer. These steps don’t require you to be a tech geek for offline issues, nor do you need to reinvent the wheel; instead, you just have to follow the instructions in the below methods.
Method 1. Remove the jammed paper and replace dead ink cartridges
First and foremost, we need to fix the most fundamental reason for the printer offline problem: the jammed paper in the printer and empty ink cartridges. During this method, we will also check whether there are any loose wires or worn-out cables. Here are the steps for what to do when a printer says offline status.
- Check your HP printer for any loose cables or frayed-out wires. Replace if needed.
- Make sure the appropriate quantity of papers are there in the tray. Do not overload it.
- Open the cartridge access door of your printer and check if there is any paper jam inside.
- Remove the jammed paper by holding it from both edges.
- Also, check the ink levels in the cartridges, and if found low, replace it with a genuine HP ink cartridge.
If you feel the printer keeps going offline at infrequent intervals, make sure the computer and printer are connected to the same wireless network, or else you will keep facing the offline situation again and again.
Method 2. Run HP Print and Scan Doctor
If you experience that your HP printer is more offline and least online, you must use the offline error specialist, i.e., HP print and scan doctor. This is a free tool available on the HP support website. It is just like a download–install–a run type of tool. You can simply use your chrome or safari browser to get this printer offline fixing tool. Here are the steps.
- Open the chrome browser or safari browser on your system.
- Now you need to type HP print and scan doctor and hit enter.
- Out of the many search results, tap on the one from the official HP website.
- Navigate the website and click Download.
- The file downloads on your system.
- Click on it and tap Run.
- Once the HP print and scan doctor installs, it launches automatically on your system.
- Make sure to add your offline printer to the HP printer and scan doctor tool.
- Tap on your HP printer model and click fix printing issues to initiate the printer offline repair process.
Method 3. Manually switch the HP Printer offline to online
If you still ask why is my printer offline even after running the HP print and scan doctor tool, we would urge you to try switching it online using the following steps. There could be a bit of technicality involved, but these steps are worth implementing.
- Press Windows + S to open the Search box on your system.
- Type Control Panel and hit enter.
- The Control Panel window will open, tap on View Devices and Printers.
- Locate your offline HP Printer, right-click on it and tap on See what’s printing in the drop-down.
- Tap on the Printers tab.
- On the drop-down, make sure that the Use printer offline is unchecked. You may also check and uncheck it again to fix the printer offline issue.
Method 4. Set offline HP printer as Default printer
Sometimes, not choosing the printer as a default may also lead to popping up the offline error. Here are the steps you need to follow to get rid of the offline printer status.
- First of all, navigate to the Control Panel on your system. You can simply open the Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R keys.
- Type Control Panel and hit enter.
- Now go to View devices and printers under the Hardware section.
- Locate your HP printer, right-click on it and click Set as default on the drop-down list.
This should force your offline printer to turn online and start taking the print commands. There are a few instances when the printer keeps going offline even after setting the HP printer as default. In that case, you must restart the Printer Spooler Services by following the next method.
Method 5. Restart the Printer Spooler Service
The Printer Spooler queues up the print jobs and sends them over to the printer for printing. When Printer Spooler stops working, the offline error message may pop up. In that case, the printer users must follow the below steps to fix Printer Spooler to eliminate the offline problem.
- Start off with pressing the Windows + R keys together to open the Run box.
- Type services.msc and hit Ok.
- The Services window appears with lots of items listed on it.
- Locate the Print Spooler, right-click over it and click Stop on the drop-down.
- Now go to the address bar from the Windows File Explorer, type C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printer, and click Ok.
- Now you should delete all the files under the Printer folder to clear the pending queues.
- Go back to the Print Spooler in the Settings window, right-click over it and click Start to resume the Spooler services.
- Finally, you should restart your computer and printer to stop the printer says offline error.
The above steps will help switch back the offline printer to an online Windows 10 PC or any other OS. If you are still facing offline errors, you must get the latest set of printer drivers from 123.hp.com, the official HP website. Sometimes, a missing firmware patch becomes a culprit in offline issues, which resolves by installing the latest printer drivers.
To get back your printer offline to online, you must ensure that the printer is set as default, that no paper is jammed inside, and that the print spooler services are running actively. Also, the printer drivers should be as per the latest patch, and you must confirm that from the official HP website. You can also use the HP printer tool called Print and Scan Doctor to deal with offline printer fixing errors. If you do not want to mess up with an offline issue, you must contact us on our toll-free number. We will assist you in sorting out the offline problem.
- HP Printer’s Mac Address
- WPS Pin On HP Printer
- Fixes for HP Printer Not Printing Black Error
- Resolve HP Printer Driver is Unavailable Windows 10?