HP produces a robust range of printers. Still, technical issues with it are not uncommon. Users commonly complain that their HP printer won’t turn on. Hardware issues, faulty wiring, slow internet, and issues in settings are the leading causes. Fortunately, you can fix most of these causes by yourself. In this post, you’ll discover effective troubleshooting for an HP printer that will not turn on.
Troubleshooting HP Printer Won’t Turn On
Here’s a list of easy-to-implement resolutions that’ll make your printer responsive again.
1. Power cycle your HP printer.
A quick power cycle is the easiest way to eliminate minor glitches preventing the printer from turning on.
- Press the Power button. It will turn off the printer.
- After around 15 seconds, turn on the printer.
- Check the wires and see if they are damaged from anywhere.
- If you notice any signs of damage, replace the wire.
2. Use a different cord to examine the power source.
If your power source is not functioning well, you will ask why my HP printer won’t turn on. Try linking another power cord to the outlet.
- Disconnect the cord from its wall outlet.
- Connect your printer to a different outlet.
- Now turn on your HP printer.
- It might turn on.
- But if it doesn’t, take a cord with the same connection as the printer’s power cord and connect it to the wall outlet and the printer.
- Now try turning on the printer. Most probably, it will switch on.
3. Recycle power to the HP printer
When the HP printer won’t turn on, consider recycling power to it. Here are the detailed instructions to do so.
- Remove the power cord from the printing device.
- Remove the cord from the surge protector or wall outlet.
- Let the printer remain in this state for 1 minute.
- After this period, reconnect the cord back to the printer.
- Plug the power cord into the outlet directly.
- Use the printer manual to find out how to power off and on your printer model.
- Press and let go of the Power button if your printer has a power button.
- Hit the power switch off if your printing machine has a power switch. Immediately after, press it to the On position.
- Your HP printer will now turn on.
4. Set the HP printer as the default device
A very common reason for various printer issues is it not being set as default. So if you are still questioning why won’t my HP printer turn on, try this technique.
- Use the Windows ‘Start’ functionality to head to the ‘Control Panel’ section.
- In the Control Panel, opt for the ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- You will see many printers in the list. Choose your HP printer model.
- Now right-click it.
- From the drop-down, choose the ‘Set as default option.
- That’s it. Now, turn on the HP printer. You won’t face any issues.
Fixing HP Mobile Printer Won’t Turn on Problem
Users also complain that their HP mobile printer won’t turn on frequently. If this happens, follow the below steps and check for the issue.
1. Recycle power
Recycling power to the HP printer works most of the time to fix printer glitches.
- Disconnect the printer’s power cord.
- After that, remove the battery.
- Take away the cord from its outlet on the wall.
- Let your printer remain in this disconnected state for around 60 seconds.
- Now plug the cord directly into the outlet.
- You can now proceed to reinstall the battery.
- Press and release the printer’s Power button.
- It will commence a Power On/Off cycle.
- Remember not to hold the button down.
2. Use the power cord to test the source of power
By now, you must be aware that the HP printer won’t turn on if there’s an issue with the power source. Use a different cord and link it to your HP printer.
- Remove the cord from the outlet or surge protector.
- Connect your printing device to another outlet that’s working.
- Now check if your printer turns on. Hopefully, you’ll not find any issues.
- However, if the printer doesn’t switch on, find another power cord. It should have the same connector as the power cord of your HP printer.
- Link this cord to your printer as well as the outlet.
- Now try turning on the printing device.
- Stop the troubleshooting here if the printer turns on.
- If you cannot get a compatible power cord, head to HP Parts Store.
3. Reinstall the battery
When the printer battery stops working, your HP printer won’t turn on. Remove and reinstall the battery to fix the issue.
- Remove the battery cover. To do so, push its cover latch to the right.
- Next, pull the battery cover inward and remove it.
- Push on the battery latch and slide it out.
- Examine the metal contacts. Check it both in the battery and the battery slot of the printer.
- Replace the battery if the contacts appear damaged.
- If they are not damaged, clean your battery and printer contacts. Use isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth for the same.
- Next, reinstall the printer battery.
- If your printer has a battery cover, push the battery into its slot.
- Push its left side till it falls into place.
- Slide the cover into its place.
- The left part of the cover should snap back into its place.
- If your mobile printer has no battery cover, reinstall the battery by placing the left portion into the slot.
- Push the battery into its slot until you see it clicking into place.
Now you wouldn’t feel anxious seeing that your HP printer won’t turn on. Recycling power and testing the power source are proven ways to fix this issue. Users of HP printers that use the battery can also use this guide and make their printers work. But if you cannot make your printer turn on even after using these fixes, connect with an HP Printer Support expert. They will offer reliable printer fixing error assistance to you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does my HP printer not turn on?
Check the power cords of your HP printer. Examine the cable connection between your printer and the computer. If it is loose, tighten it. Check if the HP printer is properly linked to a power source.
What is the problem when the printer is not turning on?
Check whether your printer is getting adequate power. The connections between the printer and the computer should be fine. If they are faulty, the printer won’t turn on.
How do I unfreeze my HP printer?
Turn off your HP printer and take out its power cord. Now, after three minutes, plug the cord back in. Turn on your printing device. Ensure that it has the latest firmware.
Is there a reset button on an HP printer?
To reset your HP printer, hold and press the Power button. Do it for 15 seconds to fully reset your printer. Admins can go to the General tab and then the Reset Factory Settings tab.
How do I hard reset HP?
Unplug the power cord and remove its battery. Hold down the printer’s power button for 20 seconds. Now, reconnect the power cord. Hit the Power button on your computer.
How do I get my HP printer to work again?
Power off the computer which is giving the print command. Restart your router. Take out the power cord of the printer and reconnect it. After that, power on the printer.