Canon provides some of the best printers in the market. However, to ensure the proper functioning of the device, you need to set it up properly. Many Apple users are confused over the setup process and thus ask how to add a Canon printer to Mac. There are many ways to add your printer to your Mac.
In this article, you will read a detailed explanation of all these methods.
How to Install the Canon Printer Drivers for Mac
Before installing the Canon printer drivers for Mac, ensure that the printer is turned on and the USB cables are properly linked. You should have a good network connection and a current printer driver.
1. Install the printer driver for Mac via the official Canon website
In order to install the printer on macOS, you must install the Canon printer driver. The driver you install should be as per your printer model.
- Through the Google search engine, head to the official page of the Canon website where you can download the driver.
- On this page, tap ‘Software and Drivers.’
- Choose your Canon printer brand.
- Now, select the device from the page.
- On the succeeding screen, you will see various printer models.
- Select your printer model.
- Now, choose your operating system and the printer’s version.
- Hit the ‘Download’ button.
- When this process ends, double-tap the downloaded file.
- Now, tap the ‘Install’ button.
- This will install the driver on your Mac.
2. Use system preferences to download the Canon printer drivers
Another way to get the printer drivers is through system preferences. Follow these simple points to install the printer drivers.
- Hit the Apple logo on the upper-left part.
- Select ‘System Preferences.’
- Now, below this tab, choose ‘Printers & Scanners.’
- On the dialog box that opens, choose the ‘+’ button, which is at the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Now, right-tap the ‘Add printer’ menu.
- Choose ‘Customize toolbar.’
- Hold the ‘Advanced’ gear icon and slide it into the toolbar,
- Hit ‘Done.’
Correctly downloading the drivers will also have a positive effect on the printer’s output. You may find Canon printer not printing color if the latest drivers are not installed.
How to Add a Canon Printer to a Mac through the USB?
If you are using a wired connection or USB, follow these points to link your printer to your Mac.
- Power on your Canon printer.
- Install the drivers you downloaded from the official Canon website.
- After that, link your printer’s USB cable with your Canon printer and Mac device.
- Now adhere to the installation steps. These steps are mentioned in the section above.
Link Your Canon Printer to a Wi-Fi through a Router
This is for those who want to know how to add Canon wireless printer to Mac. You must ensure that all your devices share a single Wi-Fi connection.
- Power on your Canon printer.
- Find the WPS button on your router.
- Your network should use a WPA2 or the WPA security protocol.
- Touch the ‘Wi-Fi’ button.
- Hold it till you see the alarm lamp flashing.
- The Wi-Fi lamp light should flash blue.
- When it does so, access the router and tap the ‘WPS’ button.
- Press this button for two minutes to establish a stable connection.
- As your Wi-Fi light flashes, your printer will look for the available networks.
- When your Wi-Fi links to the wireless router, the Wi-Fi lamp, and the Power lamp will flash.
- Let the connection be established.
- Once it’s done, the Wi-Fi lamp and the power light will stop flashing.
- Now, download and install the drivers through the on-screen instructions.
A proper printer connection using these steps will prevent errors like the Canon printer offline.
Steps to Add Canon Printer to Mac via Bluetooth
Some Canon printers lend support to Bluetooth. If your printer falls in this category, the steps to add it to your Mac are as follows.
- Open your Canon printer.
- Now, go to the ‘Printers & Scanners Preferences’’ section.
- Here, tap the ‘+’ button.
- Hit the ‘Default’ tab.
- Let the list populate.
- Choose your Canon printer and tap ‘Add.’
Method to Add Canon Printer to Mac via Bonjour Services
The Bonjour is a zero-configuration service for Apple devices. It is basically a support service to add devices such as printers to Mac. If your Canon printer supports the Bonjour configuration service, it will show under the ‘Default’ tab, which is under the ‘Printers & Scanners Preferences’ area.
Here, wait for your printer to show. This service will appear immediately if your Mac system and the Canon printer are kept close to one another. That’s it, when the printer appears, it means that it has been added.
The Bottom Line
Hopefully, you are well familiar with the process of adding a Canon printer to a Mac. Install the printer drivers and then connect the printer to Mac. Consult a printer fixing error expert if you need more clarity over this process.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I find my Canon printer driver on Mac?
You can find your printer driver on Mac by first clicking ‘Printers & Scanners.’ Tap on our printer and choose ‘Options and Supplies.’ Now you can read the version of your printer driver. To find out more about it, click ‘Further Info.’
2. Why can my Mac not find my Canon printer?
If your printer does not show up in the list of available printing devices, it points to a few different things. Firstly, the printer may be turned off. Your Mac can be on a different network. In addition, if another user shares your Canon printer, their Mac may be offline.
3. How can I find my Canon printer Mac address?
If you want to find the Mac address of your printer, use the printer’s control panel and do a Network Status Print. Turn on the printer. Load A4 size sheets in the tray. Press the ‘Utility’ button. Choose ‘Network Status Print’ and hit ‘OK.’ Select ‘Yes’ and press ‘OK.’ The Network Status Print will be produced. Here you can find the Mac address of your Canon printer indicated in the Ethernet Driver settings.
- Canon Support Code 6000
- Canon Printer in error state
- How To Fix Canon Printer Not Responding Error Through 6 Ways
- Reliable Fixes for Canon Printer Not Printing Black Issue
- A Troubleshooting Guide for the Canon Printer Error B200
- Follow Simple instructions for Canon Printer Troubleshooting